Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hair we go again...

So yes, as the dorky play on words above suggests, I am losing my hair... again. As anticipated two weeks after my first treatment it has begun to fall out. This is the messy part, when everything gets itchy and hair is Everywhere! My thinking is that I'm going to mix it up with with different color wigs this time, it's not as if it's a secret that it is infact a wig. Last summer I opted not to wear the wig often, it was sweaty, itchy and slid backwards. This time around I am looking at a partial wig that doesn't cover the top of your head but allows hair to hang down, so I could wear a hat or scarf, as I did last time, but this time it would appear as though I had hair as well. I figure, why not, it's covered by insurance anyway.

Good News!
I apologize, I forgot to report this earlier. The CBC blood work came back good; there is no need for the white cell boosting shot, at least not at this point.

Other good news, I feel great! Thursday, June 3rd was one week after chemo was administered; I started out the day as miserable as the days previously in the week, but by late afternoon I was back to normal. It was like a switch where by body had finally reached the trampoline and bounced back! At least now I have a time frame for feeling miserable.. so to avoid my grumpiness, hold off on all contact for 7 days after chemo. ☺

On the research front: John and I are going to be sitting down with a Doctor at Dana-Farber on Tuesday the 15th of June. Dr. Leena Gandhi is involved with thoracic clinical trials, our meeting is just in info-session. After two cycles of the carbo/taxol treatment I will be re-scanned, if the result of that scan is that this chemo isn't working it'll be nice just to have a fresh opinion on the matter.

John and I have been very busy lately. After many, many discussions and number pulling, we came to the very hard decision that we are going to have to put our house up for sale. We have been working these last few weeks to declutter, organize and prepare for listing our house. Part of this process will be to have our first ever Yard Sale this weekend (6/12/10), wish us luck! We were fortunate enough the last couple times I was sick to scrape by and keep the house; this time we feel that it is in our best interest to sell. This will give us the opportunity to yes use that money elsewhere each month, but also to possibly move to a condo where outdoor maintanence won't be an issue, and there will fewer rooms and square footage to care for. This is a sad step, and will be a long process I'm sure; but will hopefully in the end just be a sidestep until we can someday move into the house of our dreams.

On another note, I have to say how blessed we are by the amazing family and friends we have. I haven't asked for permission to mention any names, so I won't; but you know who you are and Thank You! Within the past month... John and I received fantastic tickets to the red sox game, and were able to eat at Jerry Remy's new restaurant because of a gift card we had received, and were even given money for parking - it was a much needed, fun night out that we otherwise never would have been able to pull off! Our groceries last week were covered by a Hannaford gift card that we anonymously received. This is in addition to the care package that was dropped off at our house, upcoming plans for a lucky strike bowling night that was donated to us, the several prayer cards, and checks we have received. I have to tell you how fortunate we feel that in this time of need the people we are already lucky enough to have in our lives pull together to help us, not only get by on an everyday basis, but to also make sure that we take advantage of the "quality of life" aspect that you often hear about when it comes to cancer patients.

Upcoming Appts:
Tuesday, June 15th: Dr. G @ Dana-Farber
Friday, June 18th: Dr. H then Chemo @ BI

1 comment:

  1. Colleen, you are truly an amazing woman. So inspirational to share your inner feelings with others and your courage is definitely a formidable force.

    You and John are lucky to have each other. Although I never met you, John worked for me several years ago and gave 200% day after day. I'll never forget that.

    I'm not a super religious person but I will pray for you and John. Someone sent me a link to this blog- hope you don't mind.

    The best always.

    Karen Eaton

    ReplyDelete