I'm not sure exactly how I feel about yesterday's result appointment of my most recent ct scan. The factual results are that the scan looked mostly stable, with a few areas that could have possibly increased. The uncertainty of these areas is because each scan cuts the image in a different spot, keeping it open to the interpretation of the tumor size as a whole.
Due to the vague results of the scan, Dr. G focused on the total benefit of this trial in my case and questioned if it was worthwhile continuing when considering all of the side effects and difficulty that I've had. I always have some sort of idea, and/or plan as to what I'm going to do depending on the scan results; but, I have to say that this is a tough one. I have one chemotherapy drug in my back pocket(alimpta) that Dr. G says has a fair chance of working. My concern is that if Alimpta turns out not to work, I could possibly be left without an alternative until another phase one trial becomes available for me (once exiting a trial, you cannot rejoin) which is much scarier than being on a trial that has at least slowed the tumor progression, if not stabalized it.
The final decision of the appointment was completely the opposite of a final decision; because I was unprepared to make the decision, I will remain on this clinical trial, at least for now.
UPCOMING APPTS:
Fri. 9/20: Endoscopy @ BIDMC
No comments:
Post a Comment