I'm lucky enough this week to start off with surgery on Monday and end with chemo on Friday, oh yes, lucky me!
Today was surgery day, and over all things went well. We got there a half hour early, but still had to wait until 9am to be called in for the surgery prep. There was a little trouble finding a vein for the initial IV, to put the anesthesia through; but with the use of ultra sound machines (on the third try) a good line was placed. After being brought into the OR room, and sliding onto the table, I was out like a light.
A few hours later I woke up in recovery and was told that the surgery went well. The recovery nurse was doing her post-op assessment when her facial expression completely changed and she called for my doctor to be paged, and for the doctor in the room to assist until then. The worry on every ones faces was from bleeding from the incision site; I wouldn't find out later that there was quite a bit of blood. The assisting doctor held pressure until my surgeon arrived, and although the pressure being held to the area would have fixed the issue, my surgeon added a couple more stitches just to be sure, put a dressing on it, and all was well. I was held in recover for a bit longer than normal, but once I was cleared we were on our way home.
I was sore, exhausted and in a bunch of pain... much of that has subsided now, and I'm doing my best to follow the discharge directions of, in summary, "do nothing", which are pretty much my instructions for the next two weeks until the site heals; which I've got to tell you isn't my forte. In two weeks time I will have to go into the office to have the stitches pulled. It is a great relief to know that I will not have to be stuck several times whenever I go in for treatment of a scan! We'll see how this fancy little access line works on Friday, until then, Thank you all for the well wishes.
Upcoming Appointments:
Chemo: Friday, August 6th
CT Torso Scan: Sunday, August 15th
Scan Results/Stitches being pulled: Thursday, August 19th
Chemo: Friday, September 3rd
Colleen,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted you to know that you were missed today at lunch!! While it was great fun, it would have been much better if you had been there. Hope that today went well and I am glad that both of us will be back in Cooley House together on Monday. Your computer is up and running, so you should be able to slide right into things when you get to work. I hope that you have an easy and restful weekend. Let me know if I can do anything for you.
Hugs,
Kit