"Colleen, what did you do this weekend?" Well, on Sunday John and I drove into BI so that I could get my first CT Scan using the femoral port that was put in almost two weeks ago, is still sore and held together with stitches. Exciting stuff, isn't it?
During our early morning drive into the city I called the radiology department to let them know that I was coming and that an IV nurse would have to be paged when I arrived in order to gain IV access through the port; why I did this, even though I knew it would not have the speedy result the oncology department thought it would; because, I was told to, and I figured that it was worth a shot. Point one, me, oncology, zero. As I checked in at the radiology desk I told her my name and showed her my key chain ID tag saying that I had a super port that could be used for scans and needed an IV nurse, she was less than enthusiastic that I just added an extra step to my check in process. So John and I sat in the empty waiting room; him with his delicious, ice cold, refreshing, dunkins iced coffee, and me with my two large bottles of internal liquid highlighters that make you gag, each in a different flavor nonetheless. I know what you're thinking, Colleen, they come in flavors, how bad can they be.... well, they are disgusting. I will give the creator of the berry flavored barium sulfate (the real name for the drinkable highlighter) some credit, it does provoke less of a gag reflex than the "original", which is why I traded in the bottle of original for a second bottle of the berry. So we drank, we waited, we finished drinking, we waited, finally an IV nurse came up to radiology to access the port and after a long conversation about the port and showing her too my handy, dandy ID key chain she admited that she's never seen a port placed where I have it, thanks for the confidence lady! Seeing that the port is so new and I still have the stitches at this point, it's pretty sore, but finally the IV is in, and we're in business. The scan goes normally until they administered the IV scan contrast. Holy Cow! A flood of the crazy warm sensation bursts through my body at record levels. When the scan is over and the tech reentered the room I asked if they used more contrast or pushed it through at a faster pace because I now have a port, she said that the amount and rate they used was standard, but previously, because my veins are so small they might have reduced the force in which it was administered in the past. Good to know. Now that the scan is over, and we have been at BI for just about three hours we have to wait for an IV nurse to come back to radiology in order to remove the IV, a half hour later, we are Finally on our way out of Boston!
Today is Thursday, Result day! This morning we woke up a bit earlier than normal to make our way back into Boston to meet with my oncologist, get blood work and to have the stitches removed (finally!). Drum Roll Please.... Good News!! The tumors that were present in my liver are barely visible, Dr. H said he had to look very closely to see a shadow of what was left of the liver tumors. I asked about the tumors in my spleen and pleura and he happily said that they are stable; I know I should be happy with anything that isn't bigger, but I'd like it if we could have an over all disappearing act.
Although I do have some pretty serious side effects from the Taxol (exhaustion, body pain to the point of not being able to walk, and finger numbness that is increasingly getting worse with each treatment), I will be doing two more treatments of a reduced amount and then getting another CT Scan. From there we will decide whether to take a break from treatments for a while and let my body recoup, or continue with a reduced treatment.
I give myself credit for asking intelligent, important questions. Today I asked a question that I already knew the answer to, but still hope on a daily basis that it is not the case. I asked, if we stop treating for a little while after my next two rounds, will the cancer grow back in full force as it had done last year, or is it still a possibility that it will just disappear and not return? Dr. H, kindly as can be, reminded me that at this point our goal is to keep the cancer under control and give me the best quality of life for as long as possible. Crap! So the rest of my life really is going to revolve around doctor appointments and looking forward to the "good days" of each month. Why did I ask?... we just got such good news.
The blood work showed that my platelets are at a normal level, but my white count is low, so I should be careful of infection, and as always, if I have a fever I should call and come back. Just one more thing... Bring in the surgical nurse! The stitches are removed, although I do have a small opening that hasn't healed yet. With caution and a few days, that should scab over and all will be well!
CHEERS! to the fact that the treatments are still working, enjoy these last few weeks of summer!
Upcoming Appts:
Chemo: Friday, September 3
I don’t normaly make posts because I post to you daily.
ReplyDeleteAnyways you ask the questions because some people look at winning the battles as a win but we look at each battle we win and it pushes us to win the war. You are the most positive and strongest women alive in which losing isn’t in your dictionary.
I love you
PS: to everyone get the hint and make some post :)
That is great news you guys!!! I still believe that your attitude has a lot to do with the outcome....you guys are so strong and I admire you both......always thinking of you guys and thanks for keeping us posted xoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteStacey (Dion)