Friday, July 9, 2010

Chemo Treatment Three

So I figured I'd write the blog while I still had the BI, strongest meds in me, and before the misery sets in.

Chemo treatment three was prefaced with a CT Scan that was done last Saturday (details in last blog); because we were unable to use IV contrast, the only images that the radiologists and doctors were able to make out were in the lung area. Good News! The tumors in the lung area have decreased in size, and although they could make out the spleen tumor and it looks the same size, they have to assume that if some of the tumors shrunk using this combination, then that would be true of the other tumors... so carbo/taxol - here we come again!

First lets start with a big Thank You to Uncle John Nyhan, who has taken on the project of setting us up with amazing date night/getaways near B.I. the night before chemo. This treatment Auntie Sheila, Uncle Chuck and Uncle John put us up in a Radisson Boston suite. The suite was on the 24th floor and had an amazing view of the city. From there we took a taxi down to the pier where they had given us tickets to take a sunset cruise around Boston Harbor, it was fantastic - and we had perfect weather! After the cruise we strolled our way back to the hotel and had dinner, and then went for a late night swim in the hotel pool. Then came morning.

I can't tell you how wonderful it is to set a 7am alarm on a day that we have to make our way to BI! We even had time to get breakfast, pack and watch some of the Fox Zip Trip. I've had either a cold or allergies for the past few days, so I've been a little nervous about my white count. After checking in, doing vitals, having my blood drawn, we met with Dr. H who then gave us the results of the scan (first paragraph), did a normal pre-chemo physical and we discussed, again, putting in a port. It is getting nearly impossible to find a usable vein in my arms and the ones that are being found are hardened with scar tissue. Dr. H is going to be in touch with Dr. Jonathan Critchlow (my trusty surgeon), who will give his opinion, and with whom we might be meeting with for the procedure just before the next chemo treatment. We again made our way to the waiting room to await the bloodwork results.

Linda, our chemo nurse called us back to the treatment center 20 minutes later and said that we would be going ahead with chemo. Dr. H stopped by to say that my levels were just above the accepted numbers (lowest they can be 1500, mine today 1700), but that I would have to have my blood drawn a week from Monday and if I get a fever, etc. then I need to check back with them. I assumed the levels were low because of the sinus thing I'm fighting; however, the doctors feel that it is the abuse my body is taking from the chemo and that it is only going to get worse as we go on, it is not only my cbc that is low, but also my platelets. Dr. H has decided to start doing chemo every four weeks instead of every three weeks to allow more time for my body to recover. This obviously has pros and cons; although we are leaving more time between treatments for the tumors to fight back, I need to be sure that my body is ready to fight back even harder - so every four weeks it is!

Chemo: two stabs in abnormal places on my arm - we are at the point where they are finding veins one wouldn't even know are there, and hurt like hell. (ps: if anyone out there is gambling on how many stabs it takes each time, I want in on the action!) So after a very long, sore day, we finally headed home to lounge in the pool.

Also, it would mean a lot to me if the people who are reading the blog would become followers, or leave me a comment with your names so that I can honestly appreciate each person who is thinking about us through this craziness. Thank you in advance. ☺

Upcoming Appts:
Monday, July19: bloodwork
Tuesday, July 20: Dana Farber consult
Monday, July 26: Dr. Critchlow appointment
Monday, August 2: Port Day Surgery
Friday, August 6: Chemo

12 comments:

  1. Chris and I obviously read all your posts and are happy with today's news. Really cool what Uncle John, Uncle Chuck, and Auntie Sheila did for you guys. Glad you had a great night. Hope to see you soon. Love you guys - Taylor and Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless You Colleen!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen -- as you are in your thoughts and prayers every day.. we all wait for the next blog. I read to nana and ollie and everyone else follows when they are on. We love you and hope to see you soon. If there is anything you need or want please just call or email. the entire family is here to support, and assist in anything you need.. xo (aunt Kim)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things seem to be looking up! I'm excited for the great news & I can't wait for more to come! Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you everyday!! As I read today I smiled!! Things look like they are going much better (I know easy for me to say) (I am gonna go with 6 or 7pokes) UUGGGHH! We can all only wish that we are as strong as you! You are an amazing person and I truely look up to you! (John your not so bad yourself!) Think of you guys everyday ..... Stay strong...and thanks for the updayte! xoxoxoxoxo Stacie (dion)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although we have never met (I used to work with John at Kenics) I am so amazed at your strength and determination. My family has a long history with cancer so I have been close to it my whole life and feel for both of you during this exhausting ordeal.

    Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone. It is truly an inspiration for each of us to value each day that we have and focus on the positive. It probably won't make me stop bitching about the heat, but I am seeing the good things that I have and not sweating the small stuff.

    I'll keep good thoughts coming your way.

    Karen Eaton

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were in my thoughts and prayers all day yesterday!!! It sounds like not so bad, if not good news. Keep up the fignt!!!!!! Fran V

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colleen - Stay strong and fight!! Praying for you. Am a long time friend of the Pelletier family. You are a wonderful person and will get through this! xoxo ~Donna Gilardi (Bowles)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have thought about posting every time we have read but wanted to put our name but couldn't figure it out...what can I say...don't even use facebook...lol. Sooo, we will do what others have done and be anonymous and then tell you who we are. We love you, pray for you & Jm EVERY Minute of EVERY day and are POSITIVE that you will beat this!!!! Auntie/Sis, We love you tons! The Fiore Gang

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colleen,
    I can't even begin to imagine having to go through all the treatments, chemo and blood drawn like you have been. I know it's been a while since we have talked or seen each other but I think about you all the time. You are such a strong and positive person. Keep your head up and keep fighting the strong fight. My thoughts and prayers are with you and john. ~Melissa~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colleen,
    Hey sorry for the late response (just got back). We are so happy with the present results...You guys are so strong together and will pull through this. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you both. All our love Donny, Chloe, Amanda and Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coleen,

    I work with your wonderful husband at Phillips...and although I have never met you personally, I can tell you are a remarkable person. As John knows, I have been following your situation as soon as I became aware. My wife and I both keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Hoping your latest encounters with the medical staff provide some optimistic results...in the meantime, hang tough, keep up the good fight and hopefully things will improve. Please keep us all posted.....Dick

    ReplyDelete