Saturday, May 9, 2009

Chemo Cycle #1


Cycle one started Thursday morning, after the 2 hour ride in we got there promptly on time at 8:45am. Checked in at the desk, had my vitals done, drew blood, met with my oncologists and then to Nurse Linda we went. So if I gave you all a quiz before I even began this I bet you could guess what comes next.... if you answered, A. trying to find a vein to put the IV in, you'd be correct! ding! ding! ding! Now I won't say that it doesn't bother me to be stabbed 6 times and not yet place the IV, I've become used to this, I do however get very angry at the mention of sending me home and having to wait for another day because 3 nurses can't find a vein to put the IV in. Well one last stick and finally we have luck (lucky for them!) Okay, so now we're on a roll. Start the saline, give me anti-nausea meds.. then finally the chemo. The process of this first day went from 8:45am-6:00pm. John and I spent our time playing some monopoly (until the sleeping aid he convinced (not true) the nurse to give me cause me to forfeit - I had all the transportation properties too, I was clearly winning!). So after me passing out for a while we had a little lunch, and then watched Baby Mama. Finally time for all of the discharge directions and we were off. Finally home. Surprisingly this day went better than that night and following days.

I woke up Friday morning nauseous, tried to eat something and take my meds, that didn't go all so well. After throwing up, I called the nurses at BI, got a new attack plan and went in early. They gave me more IV anti nausea meds, the VP-16 chemo and more saline. That trip lasted from 11-4ish. I slept a little better last night, but only to wake up nauseous again, no throwing up yet though. Today was the final treatment for this cycle. We arrived at BI at 11am and left around 3pm. My goal this time was to sleep as much as possible.

So to sum up this experience, my body is pissed that I'm taking back control; but taking back control I'm going to do.

I'm taking it a little (a lot) slower these days; so bear with me when it comes to phone calls or blog entries, but I'll do what I can. Your messages of support keep me kicking!

We have to go back to BI on Thursday for follow up blood work and to "check in", but chemo cycle #2 doesn't start until 5/28.

3 comments:

  1. Seeing no one has made any comments yet and i know you love reading them!!!!!!

    You teach me will power and strength every day. You are going to beat this not just because your the strongest women alive but because you said so!!!!!!!! Ohhhh and i know that's the final word :)

    PS: You had no chance in winning monopoly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen and John Michael,

    Colleen you don't know me but I teach first grade at SPS. I want you to know that my class and I pray for you and John every day! You have inner-strength that I find amazing and beautiful, and I believe that you will take full control over your body, and you will fight this successfully! I will continue to keep you both in our daily thoughts and prayers! Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, you are a good husband knowing that things just are because your wife says so!!!

    Seriously, know that you both are always in my thoughts and prayers. You guys are so good and this really stinks.

    I wish you both my very best.

    Fran V

    ReplyDelete