Saturday, February 1, 2014

1/23/14 – 1/31/14


1/23/14 well the news didn’t get better as hoped. Colleen’s white blood count didn’t get any better but worse with other functions following suit. So we had had another sit down meeting with the team of doctors and we all decided that it would be the appropriate time to go home would be on Friday. We came to this decision mainly because it was Colleen’s wish NOT to be on machines or in the ICU and because it would have been the only next step the hospital could do. Even with this news Colleen and I said well if we go home she still has a chance to improve, which the doctors did not disagree.

1/24/14 so after a long morning of discharge and getting a few more medications we headed home from the hospital. When we got home the house was spotless and the room that was the office was prepared for it to be turned into a hospital type room all because my Sister Julie and my Brother Don. As Colleen came into the house she said  “it’s so clean” with a big smile on her face. So for this and many other things I will be always grateful for my Sister and Brother. Colleen showered, got re-bandaged, and took all her medications. In the meantime the Hospice nurse came to register etc. and all the equipment arrived and set up. My mom came and made sure the room felt like home and not the hospital with fresh comfy sheets, which again brought a smile to Colleen’s face. Again I will always be grateful to my mom for this.

1/25/14 I checked on Colleen throughout the night. She was fine; I received her normal smile and look to leave her alone and for me to get some sleep.  Well at around 8:30 am I was going to check on her and give her medications and I heard some gurgling noise. To keep this part short I ended up calling 911 and she was brought to the Lowell Saints Hospital. We got there I told them she did not want to be on machines etc. and all I want them to do is make sure she is stable and not in pain. They did this and got her home. For the rest of the afternoon into night Colleen was not responsive but did open her eyes a few times. She laid in comfort and painless until holding my hand she took her last breath at 7:50 at home surrounded by family “not staring at her” which she wanted.


1/28/14 & 1/29/14 Wake And Funeral


The turnout of so many friends and family was overwhelming but not surprising because Colleen was an inspiration to all. I need to and will thank many people but for now I would like to thank a few people; Breens Funeral home (Charlie Breen), Saint Patrick’s Church, Father Paul, Monsignor (Father) Carlson, and Claddagh Pub (Brian J Farrell) for making a beautiful wake, Funeral, and Mercy Meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment