I have to say that we had the best Memorial Day weekend that we've had in a very long time, maybe ever; but I suppose, that comes with a cost.
Last week we arrived at BI all set for a quick visit, and ended up waiting for an hour and a half for my blood work results to come back, at which time we were Finally able to start treatment, so needless to say, it was not a quick visit. Last week's treatment left me completely lethargic and nauseous for six days, when at last today I was feeling better, it was time to go back in for another treatment.
Today's visit was completely... frustrating. We arrived a little bit early and were taken back to have my blood drawn, while waiting for the results we met with Dr. H for a check up. We went over all of the normal questions and talked about how my breathing has been getting progressively worse, he decided that he wanted to test it, so off I went speed walking the halls with the O2 monitor on my finger. After our brisk walk and my descending numbers Dr. H panicked a bit. He cancelled my treatment for the day and scrambled to send me for an emergency CTA Scan to check for pulmonary embolisms or other lung issues that the Gemzar might be causing. While the secretary was going through the anguishing process of approving the scan through my insurance and calling to set it up with radiology, my nurse changed the needle in my port to accommodate the CTA testing, and rushed me down a couple floors to radiology where they were supposedly waiting for me. Once in radiology, nobody seemed to know who I was or why I was there; but after several minutes of explaining my situation and speaking on the phone to a few people I was taken back for the test. I thought things would be smooth sailing from here, nope. After seeing my port, the tech (not so kindly) told me that he wasn't going to use the port, that they don't use femoral ports for CTA Scans, when I (not so kindly) told him that I've been getting scans using my port for over a year, on a monthly basis, and never once have had a problem. This battle continued for a bit, I won. Back up to oncology we went, and waited, hoping that the results came back before Dr. H left for the day, or else they would then shuffle us down to the ER. After anxiously waiting for a half hour or so, Dr. H came with over to us with the good news: that they didn't see any blood clots; but, I do have shadowing on my lower left lung, which could be the beginning of pneumonia. The plan is to begin a Z-Pak tomorrow (which means a glass of wine tonight) and go back to see Dr. H and hopefully resume treatment a week from today, Friday morning.
I could have done without all of today's aggravation, but at least I get another week of recovery before being treated again. Here's hoping (raising my glass of wine) that next week is smooth sailing!
UPCOMING APPTS:
6/15: Dr. H & Chemo
Colleen, Once again you are such an inspiration! I think of you guys often and pray for you to have the strength to keep fighting this!
ReplyDeleteTracey