Doxil is out and Xeloda is in - also known as 5-FU, that's right FU cancer! In my opinion, all chemotherapy drug names should have some sort of profanity incorporated in it.
Even though we were standing in the specialty Boston pharmacy last week and Xeloda was only a few feet away from us, insurance would only approve it through a mail order pharmacy; which is completely ridiculous, if you want my opinion. After a week of calling back and forth between a pharmacy in Florida and my doctor's office in Boston, the oral form of Xeloda was finally approved and should be arriving on Tuesday. Three pills of FU-Cancer are taken twice a day, twelve hours apart, 30 minutes after eating and taking compazine (an anti-nausea med.). Side effects that are associated with this chemo are the usual: nausea, diarrhea, hand/foot syndrome, skin irritation, sun sensitivity, low immunity... blah, blah, blah. The unusual thing about Xeloda is that these side effects tend to increase when taking folic acid - which I will avoid, needless to say.
I will officially start Xeloda on Wednesday 9/21 assuming it arrives on Tuesday. The entire reason for attempting the oral medication is to limit my time out of work, so as long as everything goes smoothly, I can check-in by phone with my doctor and nurse, and blood work can be taken locally. Hopefully I will not have to make another trip back into BI until my CT Scan in about six weeks or so.
Happy Fall everyone & here's to 5-FU Cancer!
Love the FU Cancer!!!! That statement couldn't be more appropriate! Xo
ReplyDeleteIn Roman numerals 5 is "V".
ReplyDeleteV stands for VICTORY!
A battle cry! A call to war!
"VICTORY! F-U, CANCER!"
Colleen, your so strong I don't know how you do it. I love your attitude and how you keep your sense of humor. Your a fighter and since I've known you you've been a fighter. I'll never forget how we met and our first argument. I don't remember what it was about but we were both so head strong-lol.You tell it how it is and I love that about you. The card I sent you, I meant it. I haven't been there and time goes by and I just want you to know that I love you for you, and who you are. I"ve missed you lots. Once again I do want to see you when ever your up for it. Like I said I can just come over and we can order food and chill. Jasmine says hi and misses you too. She thinks you and John are so funny.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking of you and want to be a better friend.
xoxo Brandy
P.S.Give John love from me and Jaz too. He's a wonderful man.
Hahahaha-ok.I can't figure it out and how to publish it so it doesn't say anonymous...that just sounds weird. I'm not anonymous!I BRANDY
ReplyDeleteSo I still have a little blonde moments.....ok I sometimes have alot of moments!!
ok, so I'm sitting here laughing by myself. I just read why I have to type in letters to publish my comments....LMAO....did you know it asks you to type in the letters so they can make sure your not a robot!!!!
ReplyDeletePS still not sure how to make it say my name instead of anonymous-lol