Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Excellent News

Today we met with Dr. H to get the results of my post 6th treatment CT Scan... excellent news! The carbo/taxol combo is still working it's magic!

The liver has no visual tumors, the mass in the spleen has not changed- they are beginning to think is an unrelated mass (meaning that it is possibly not cancer), the spot in my mid chest shows significant shrinkage - what is left could be just scar tissue from the surgery, and the tumor on the pleura has shrunk down to 8mm!

We discussed this "positive dilemma", as Dr. H called it, thoroughly. It is unknown whether or not receiving two additional treatments after the standard six will actually be useful; but we're going to find out! I refuse to not receive treatment when the uncertainty of additional chemo could equally be positive as it could be negative. When I say negative, I am referring to the beating my body takes during each chemo treatment, including my blood levels; but I am convinced that if I'm willing to accept this extra fight, then so is my body! Following these next two treatments I will get another CT Scan to hopefully learn that things are looking even better.

I asked Dr. H if revisiting the idea of radiation was a possibility. When we first found out the cancer had returned in full force radiation was not a feasible treatment, due to the fact that I had tumors in multiple areas; now that I am down to only one known visible cancerous tumor it makes sense to me to zap this thing with all that we have available. I however, am not a doctor (shocking I know), evidently hitting my lung with radiation could have several negative side effects that would out weigh the benefits. Dr. H did say that he would speak with the radiation oncologist to get his views on the situation.

Upcoming Appts:
Fri. Oct 29th - Chemo

4 comments:

  1. Colleen,
    I am so thrilled to hear this wonderful news. You and John have fought long and hard to get to this point. I couldn't be more excited for you both.
    Hugs and love to both of you,
    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen
    Dad & I are also excited about the news. Your strength helps us all with all our little problems in life. Keep up the good job. We love you.
    Mum & Dad P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo!! I'm so thrilled to read these latest developments. You are an inspiration!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible! Great news. You both deserve the best. I hope the news continues to get better for you. Your hope and positive attitude are a real inspiration to all of us.

    Karen Eaton

    ReplyDelete