Thursday, April 9, 2009

Liver Biopsy Day

Waking up bright and early to get to BI by 9am, fun. It was a Long Day (I say this a lot huh??), maybe all of this will redefine the word long for me... We get there at 8:45ish, and I must give John credit for knowing which building, I almost took us in the wrong one. I say my hello's to all of the staff I know so well, IV in the first shot!! I didn't even mind the extra sensitivity of the hand; only being stabbed once is a blessing. So I'm all prepped to go by 9:10ish, but am told that I have to wait until 10:30a, so at 11am someone comes to get me. I make it up to radiology and am greeted by one of the tech's she says "are you comfortable in the stretcher" my facial expression was I'm sure more entertaining than my answer of, as comfortable as I can be.. however; to throw me off even more she says, good because we have an emergency coming in and we have to bump you. UGH! So Sarina (the best) goes to find John and bring him up. and we wait. finally 2pm I go in, they set me up, the doc comes in congratulates me on our wedding (I know him from before, I know most people from "before") and then we begin.

They scan my body using cat/scan and ultra sound, to find the lesions on my liver, this takes a while.. when they're pretty sure they slice my skin (that they've already colored on making their marks), and put in a needle cathater, and scan again.. too bad they didn't position this right the first time, so they move the cathater and do that procedure twice more. Okay time to get the "stuff". A Very long needle is placed in the needle cathater and sucks up some cells when clicked. Then the staff hides in the other room, checks it out, scans me again and repeats this several times (7?).

Meanwhile Dotty (super nice nurse providing me with "the good stuff" to keep me pain free but responsive) and I chat away about the Red Sox, Hawaii and other medical stuff. Done!

Down to recovery I go, feeling very nauseous and strange, I try to nap.. Finally 7pm-ish rolls around and we get to go home.

While in recovery I called to schedule the follow up. Unfortunately (our luck of course) we go in to find out the results one week from today, April 16th, hubby's Birthday. :O(

Finally

No comments:

Post a Comment